After combing social media conversation for 10 brands over a 30-day period, we saw Fenty lead the pack in terms of volume. The brand also boasted the strongest ratio of total mentions to exclusive-to-the-brand mentions of any brand included in the analysis. This means that mentions referencing Fenty tend to be about its brand exclusively, whereas competitors tend to see mentions in the company of other brands and products.
Fenty Leads Social Conversation Volume Over the Past 30 Days
Powered by our proprietary tools, the graph below visualizes the social media conversation volume for 10 brands between March 17 and April 16, 2018. The cluster “Multiple Brands” indicates conversation where two or more brands were referenced in a given mention.
What’s Fenty’s formula for success, and what does it mean for the rest of the category?
Like many iconic beauty brands, Fenty is leveraging influencer marketing–in this case, Rihanna, a well-regarded celebrity–to spark interest and insert the brand into pop culture and conversation. What’s unique, however, is that Fenty’s sustained amplification drivers are the brand and products’ connection to emerging trends and shifts in consumer demand such as inclusive products recommended by ‘people-like-me’ via unedited tutorials and reviews.
Six out of 10 consumers trust information created by ‘people like me’ most (source: Edelman Trust Barometer 2018), and 63% of Gen Z say social media posts encourage them to buy particular products (source: Mintel Beauty Retailing, US Sept. 2017).
So, what can the category learn from Fenty?
Questions to be asking in an ever-evolving environment that’s hyper-focused on social:
- How do consumers interact with our brand today?
- What is the most trustworthy, authentic, and relevant way to drive advocacy and brand choice?
- Are we leveraging the right strategies to create a dialogue with our audience?
- What are the most appropriate and impactful cultural and social trends to tap into?
- What influencers, big or small, best support our brand strategy?
- How can we most effectively evolve, promote, and protect our brand at a faster clip than the competition?
As audience, communications, and marketing research experts, we can help:
- Surface earliest stage consumer trends to lead the market and capture share.
- Identify influencers and content mediums best suited to reach high-value audiences, drive visibility, brand reputation, and behavior change at point-of-sale.
- Define, develop, and optimize your brand purpose and messaging architecture to strengthen your consumer-brand relationship.
- Diagnose the state of Trust and the strength of consumer-brand relationships to further build and defend your brand and products through innovation and market disruption.
If you’re interested in learning more about what this means for your brand or business, email us at email@example.com.
Natalie Seidman is Managing Director of Edelman Intelligence US.